Monday, October 18, 2010

Old Dog Learns New Tricks


Got my German 88 battery finished. My late war Germans are based using static grass. It's not a technique I'm crazy about, but I got a big tub of it in trade so what the hell, right? I had them sealed with gloss sealer then Dullcote, just bought a new damn car today, and had 3/4 of a bottle of Four Roses left, so I thought, frell, let's finish these puppies. I flocked them as usually-- an irregular covering of Woodland Scenics Scenic Cement followed up by the static grass and gentle lateral blowing to get them to stand up. But. I had bookmarked a recent page describing making more realistic terrain-- thought I'd pull it back and and see what they had to say about it. Lo and behold, they have a page on realistic grass. It's basically static grass drybrushed tan, light orange or light blue? LOL!  The only drybrushed static grass I recall are Keven Dallimore's Foundry figures-- I bought a catalog Askarai for $5 off eBay, just to examine his painting technique in person-- and it looked like paint slopped on static grass.  But whatever, I'm drunk, let's do it. A light drybrushing of Delta Ceramcoat's Country Tan, and a very light (although not quite light enough) drybrushing of DC's Wedgeworth Blue and what do you know-- it does look better. The picture really highlights the flaws, but in the flesh, they do look better. I'll be keeping this up. With or without the bourbon.  (probably with!)

1 comment:

  1. That looks really good. I'll have to look at trying that with my static grass, which is one of those garish greens

    ReplyDelete