I've been wanting to make one of those diorama bases to fit wargaming miniatures on for display for some time, and just made one. Read on for how easy it was:
The final product:
This was dead easy to do. I bought the base finished for 99 cents at a local crafts store. It colud have used some sanding, but I didn't even mess with that. I stained it with Royal Walnut MinWax Polyshades, which I had on-hand for Miracle Dipping figures. After it dried, I placed washers the size of the figure bases where I wanted them, and flocked around it just like I do my figure bases. I added some aquarium foliage to taste. Viola!! Very easy for a nice effect.