Tuesday, September 7, 2010

About Had It With Craft Paints

I have been a big proponent of cheap craft paints for painting miniatures for many years. The vast majority of the paints I have used for all my miniatures tend to be dollar a bottle craft paints, usually Delta Ceramcoat but maybe Apple Barrel or some other. I'm not picky. There have been irritations along the way, such as when Ceramcoat dropped one of my favorite colors, Palomino Tan, and of course they tend to be sparse on military colors like olive green, which I mixed up myself. But now, it is really getting infuriating. I recently restocked some core brown and grey colors, parts of my "triads" of those shades, and the paints are worthless. Thin little anemic wash that I can't use for anything. And they're really backbone colors of my painting, especially right now as I'm painting lots of WW2 Germans. It's infuriating. I'm wondering if I shouldn't just jump ship to some dedicated hobby paints.

1 comment:

  1. I've had good luck with craft paints in brown,but less so in other colors. The problem with moving to dedicated hobby paints in Knoxville is finding them. I like to be able to look at the bottles to match some scheme I've found someplace, so mail ordering paints has never really seemed like it would work for me.

    I have used a lot of the Testors Acryll line, which are available from Hobbytown. They are decent paints. Usually pretty thin, but with decent pigmentation. Good selection of military colors as well

    ReplyDelete