Sunday, March 20, 2011

Getting the Band Back Together!

Blood Bowl Trophies
The Blood Bowl has been picking up around here lately, and there's a very specific reason why. I've got one of those large round numbered birthdays coming up. Now, I'm not the sort of person who goes for all that celebratory nonsense. To me, my birthday is just another day. However, my wife is bound and determined that we will celebrate this birthday somehow-- so much so, that she threatened to have a party with all HER friends if I didn't come up with a better idea! So, I did.

I've played RPGs and miniature games since I was 8-9 or so. We're talking the D&D red box-- the ORIGINAL one-- here. I was exposed to Games Workshop in college. I had the Rogue Trader rulebook, a couple of space marines and a couple of Epic Warhound titans. I wasn't that into gaming at the time, however, and sold them to some bigger nerd for beer money. Years later, walking the rooms in grad school, I ran across a guy with a photocopy of Squat trikes tacked outside his cube. I recognized them, struck up a conversation with him, and pretty soon, he had me playing Epic and Blood Bowl.

Epic didn't really take, but Blood Bowl sure did, and pretty soon I was participating in a league run out of the local comic store. Many of the guys I still game with, um, 17 or so years later, I met at that Blood Bowl league. Several others have moved on and I see them only rarely now. But, I thought, for my birthday celebration, we're having a Memorial (yes, the age is that high) Blood Bowl Tournament. I'm inviting a lot of the original league, plus my new gaming buddies I've met since then, to my house for a long day full of nothing but Blood Bowl!

Four games, double SPPs, multiple MVPs, double winnings, a skill draft between games, breakfast, lunch, dinner and lots of beer-- I think it's going to be a blast!

9 comments:

  1. Sounds like a great time Andy, have a blast!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Andy,

    Sounds like a great time. Unfortunately, I'll not be able to make it since Beth's due date is a couple of weeks from that. I can't see her liking the idea much of me being 6.5 hours away if she goes into labor early...

    You guys have a good time and Happy Birthday

    Brian

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's too bad, Brian, but totally understandable!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, as long as the birday is round, and not the celebrant, LOL. Mine happended to be today, but (fortunately) not a "round" one. Sounds like a great way to spend the day - enjoy! Good deal on your wife encouraging you to do something special, too, BTW!

    Peter

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can't remember which you and I played first; that fateful Blood Bowl league, or a large Star Grunt II game at Collector's Choice...either way it was around '93 or so huh?

    Looking forward to 'the big event' but there's lots of gaming to be had between now and then!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Haha! I was going through some BB mini's to show a friend of mine that I had some skill (albeit not your level) then. He's got me trying Warmachine, so the paints have come back out...Feeling rusty to be sure. Happy Birthday Andy! The next time I'm not 9 hours away I'll give you a call.

    Tee

    ReplyDelete
  7. Tee! If you can make it to Knoxville May 14, you're welcome to join!

    ReplyDelete